Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Swim Notes from 2/19/08

Did a nice workout with Ken at the YMCA yesterday where we did:

10 x 50 free swim on 1:00 easy

10 x 50 drill back w/10 SR – Did the I-L-I drill first to focus on getting ready for Freeze Frame. Ken learned that by doing this first it helps to teach the other swimmers to keep that hand leading during the 'L' position, so that when we do Freeze Frame we can really work on the timing of the stroke. Also did some fist closed to get a better feel for the water by setting up the stroking arm better. I must remember to bring fins to Masters swim on Monday for those who could use some short fins for these drills.

Then we did 4 x 500: 100 swim, 100 kick, 100 fast swim, 100 drill, 100 swim fast – focused on good body position. He noticed that when I breath to the right I crunch my body up a bit – so fixed this by keeping the head steady and looking directly to the side or slightly in front of me while breathing on that side.

20 x 25 – odds fast free (counted strokes – averaged 18-19), and then slow count your strokes for the easy – averaged 12-13 strokes.

Then a 600 of 75 pull/25 scull – all with paddles. It was here that Ken came up with the sculling pattern to get ready for fly – a sort of front scull, but you don't work the insweep. You just press down with the chest, and then rotate the hands/paddles with the thumb going down to face the bottom of the pool. This really helped to set up the stroke, improve body position so that the core gets more involved (and less arms) and also helped ME to keep my elbows up – or in a fixed position.

In fact this was the key phrase for me today with freestyle – keep elbows in fixed position during stroke.

No comments: