Thursday, February 21, 2008

Another day with no wheels

In other words – no running or riding. We leave today for PSAC (penn state athletic conference) swim meet championships. Max is swimming the 1000, 400 IM and 500 Free. Should be interesting as he had the flu on Fri-Sunday, and returned to practice Monday afternoon (for brief 1500). Haven't heard from the boy since Tuesday morning (said he felt fine in practice), but let's just hope he hasn't tapered down as he has nationals in 3 weeks.

Anyway – swim yesterday and tried a novel approach (novel for me anyway). I actually used my HRM during the swim, and did what my coach said to do in terms of going into specific training zones. Something I probably should have done long ago, but for some reason I sort of poo-poo'd it for swimming. I use it when running, and occasionally wear it for riding, but only occasionally because for some reason it is real work to get to my zones on the bike. Which means I should wear it more. When I get back on the bike.

Swim workout was this:

200 w/u, 10 x 200 at just below LT (about 143-147 bpm), then 10 x 50 at LT (did these backstroke), then 10 x 50 (5 at below LT, and 5 above LT). cool down 100 easy. Had to get to appointment. Otherwise a good swim.

Time to pack and hit the road!

No comments: