Thursday, February 28, 2008

Core and Diet

This week I've been able to attend two lectures (for lack of a better word) on both core and nutrition at the FARC and Tri-Fred open meetings. Both had awesome speakers – E.J. O'Malley (core) and Donna Hetrick (nutrition).

I can honestly say that of the two….they both are so important to the sport of running, swimming, and riding. To be stronger and faster you need fuel, and to help you stay injury free you need a strong core (not to mention it will help you get faster).

So what did I take away from both talks?

Nutrition – really need to focus on my protein intake a bit better. I was good for awhile, but I started to slip in the past couple of weeks.

Core – really need to work on my stability. Which means focusing on developing a stronger gluteus medias, and doing some single leg squats with multi-planar movement. This way when I get back running I will be more prepared to handle the load to not only my feet, but also my knees which have grown 'creaky' the last 8 months.

Tomorrow go to the Doc to see if I am 'healed'! AMEN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb, if you find a good website showing some of these multi-planar movements, that would be great. I'm a bit confused as to what you mean. Thanks. --Rob