Thursday, August 02, 2007

Up on a hilltop a lonely goat herd......




Yodelady-yodelady-yodelady-whoooo!

1800 meters of climbing the Port de Bales, the toughest climb on the Tour de France course, and Ian takes us on it on our third day in France. Did anyone ever tell him how evil he is?

Where am I?

Luscan, France at the Pyrenees Multi-Sport Camp owned by Julie and Ian Wright (aka 'The Wrighties'). I am coaching a small women's tri camp, and I have some excellent athletes that I've gotten to know and really enjoy.

First there is Louisa - 22 - from the UK. Occupation - Student (far left/blonde)
Next is Aimee - 19 - also from UK, and daughter of Ian/Julie. Occupation Student (far right)
Then there is Maya - 21 - from Lebanon. Occupation - Student (second)
And Karen from the Burg, or should I say transplanted to Mississippi (third).

Picture is from a hike up into the mountains to view this lake, but as you can see it got quite misty!

And of course there is Julie, and I must find a picture of her!

Saturday we arrive, and then drive to our home port of Luscan from Toulouse. From here we get taken out right away on a ride through the countryside for 28 miles with Aimee as our guide. Karen's plane got in late, and she needed a nap. So I went out with her later in the day, and of course I couldn't re-produce the route we went earlier in the day. But oh well.....we just followed some random arrows out, and returned the same way back.

Day 2 - get up early to run, and since I'm slightly injured I was relegated to the mountain bike. The mountain bike with the seat set too low, and the front brakes made this high pitched whine that wouldn't stop no matter what. So I followed the ladies for 3 miles with this noise and my knees up to my ears.

Then it is off for a nice ride up our first 'Cols' in the Pyrenees with Aimee as our Guide. Julie stayed behind to help Maya get used to a road bike. This was a really great ride, not that hard to get up (790 meters), and a lot of fun to go down. At the top of the mountain we had a little lunch, then it was off on our bikes back to the house.

Off to the local lake where we swam in open water for about 30 minutes or so. Nothing like a nice cool mountain fed lake that isn't loaded with muck and duck poop.

No comments: